Are You Criminally Liable for a Party at Your House—if You Weren’t There?

Posted by Joseph D. Lento | Nov 03, 2023 | 0 Comments

Can you go to jail for hosting a house party in New Jersey? Possibly—if criminal activities are taking place under your roof. You might also get in trouble if your house is used by someone else for a party, say, if your kids host a party while you're out of town. There might be serious repercussions for you.

Are House Parties a Crime in NJ?

Hosting a party is, obviously, not a crime in New Jersey. If the neighbors call the police to complain about noise, the most you'll get is fined for a noise violation. You can't go to jail for having a loud party after hours.

The trouble starts if there are criminal activities taking place at your party, under your roof. The most notable example is underage drinking. Under New Jersey law, providing alcohol to underage minors purposely or knowingly is a disorderly persons offense. This offense carries a sentence of up to six months in jail or up to $1,000 in fines. Additionally, if serving the minor alcohol results in the child being injured, you could be charged with endangering the welfare of children, which carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $15,000.

There's an exception for parents and guardians, however. If your kids throw a house party while you're away and get into your liquor cabinet, you can't be charged with providing your underage kids with alcohol. You might be charged, however, with providing your kids' friends with alcohol.

Can You Get in Trouble for a Party if You Weren't There?

Parents can get in trouble for hosting an underage drinking party in New Jersey, even if they weren't at home at the time of the party. However, the law states that it's a crime if you knowingly allow underage drinking to happen on your property. If your kids had the party without your permission and you can prove it, you might be able to avoid being charged with a disorderly persons offense. Getting sufficient proof to clear your name might require the help of a criminal defense attorney.

What to Do If You Are Charged for a Party at Your Residence

If you get charged with endangering child welfare, serving alcohol to minors, or another criminal offense related to a party that took place at your house, you should contact the New Jersey criminal defense team at the Lento Law Firm. They have helped people throughout New Jersey who have been charged with crimes ranging from disorderly persons offenses to felonies.

At the Lento Law Firm, we understand that you're feeling overwhelmed and need support and guidance. We can provide both. Call us today at 888-535-3686 or contact us online to book a consultation.

About the Author

Joseph D. Lento

"I pride myself on having heart and driving hard to get results!" Attorney Joseph D. Lento passionately fights for the futures of his clients in criminal courtrooms in New Jersey and nationwide. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. With unparalleled experience occupying several roles in the criminal justice system outside of being an attorney, Joseph D. Lento can give you valuable behind-the-scenes insight as to what is happening during all phases of the legal process. Joseph D. Lento is licensed in New Jersey and New York, and is admitted pro hac vice as needed nationwide. In the courtroom and in life, attorney Joseph D. Lento stands up when the bell rings!


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

​​​Contact The Lento Law Firm Today

When it comes to criminal defense cases, you need the right person in your corner. To learn more about how Mr. Lento can help you, call the Lento Law Firm today at 888-535-3686. or contact him online.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.