No matter where you live in the United States, the federal government has the reach to investigate, charge, and potentially convict you of a crime. Those who live or work in New Jersey may find themselves facing a federal investigation that may lead to an indictment, in which case your freedom may be at stake. As someone facing the weight of the federal government in New Jersey, your priority may be hiring a lawyer experienced in federal cases.
The Lento Law Firm represents defendants in the United States District Court's District of New Jersey. District courts are where federal cases begin (following an investigation). If necessary, your case may progress to circuit courts, where your appeal will occur. If your attorney needs to appeal again, your case may advance to the United States Supreme Court.
Regardless of where your case currently stands or the potential charges you face, our team can advise you and provide all necessary legal services. We will fight for the best possible outcome in your case, whether it is avoiding charges, reducing the charges against you, securing a dismissal, or another outcome.
Why Hire the Lento Law Firm for a Federal Court Case in the District of New Jersey?
The phrase “federal” can strike fear into those facing criminal charges, and you should absolutely be concerned about a possible conviction on federal charges. You must take your defense seriously if you face a federal criminal investigation. Federal criminal charges may mean:
- Investigators and prosecutors leading your case have great financial, technological, and legal resources on their side
- You are facing potential jail or prison time
- You are facing steep financial penalties
- You are facing a complex legal process
Federal prosecutors may be abnormally qualified and may have many convictions to their name. If you do not have a capable, experienced attorney leading your defense, the odds may be stacked against you.
Attorney Joseph D. Lento and the Lento Law Firm team regularly represent clients facing federal charges in the New Jersey district. We handle cases involving:
- Aggravated Assault and Battery
- Child Abuse
- Computer Crimes
- Contempt of Court
- Credit Card Fraud
- Cyber Crime
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Abuse
- Drug Trafficking
- Exportation of Drugs
- False Statement to Obtain Unemployment Compensation
- Interstate Domestic Violence
- Medical/Health Care Fraud
- Possession of Child Pornography
- Possession of Narcotics
- Tax Evasion
- Telemarketing Fraud
- Violation of Federal Probation
- Other criminal offenses tried in the U.S. District of New Jersey
Every federal offense is serious. You deserve an attorney who understands the gravity of federal charges and more importantly, how to defend clients from life-changing criminal charges successfully.
How the Lento Law Firm Will Help You
Our team builds a personalized defense for each client we represent. However, there are basic responsibilities that a lawyer has to a client facing federal charges, including:
- Seeking exculpatory evidence: Our team will thoroughly investigate the charges against you. We will seek any evidence that suggests your innocence, also known as exculpatory evidence. The District of New Jersey must know about this evidence, as it could warrant the immediate dismissal of criminal charges.
- Seeking a possible plea bargain: It is generally worth exploring any plea offers that the prosecutor in your case will agree to. We face no obligation to accept such offers, but it is important to know what kind of plea federal prosecutors would consider.
- Protecting your rights: Prosecutors and other parties may trample over a defendant's rights, should a lawyer allow them to do so. When you hire the Lento Law Firm, you ensure that nobody will violate your rights. You will not face intimidation, coercion, or any other tactics that could compromise your defense—we'll make sure of it.
- Handling every step of the legal process: As your attorneys, we have a clear mandate: To achieve the best possible outcome for your case. We handle every step of the legal process as we work towards this goal. From completing case-related paperwork to filing motions, hiring experts, accompanying you to interviews, and leading your appeal, our team will guide you through your case.
We know what defendants in federal court cases experience. You may be frightened, confused, and uncertain of what lies ahead. Our team will provide some certainty during a difficult time in your life, preparing your defense, answering your questions, and explaining what you can expect as your case unfolds.
Read These Primers on the Federal Court Process
Once you have retained our team, your focus may turn to the process ahead. There are several stages in the federal court process, including:
- Initial Appearance and Arraignment
- Preliminary Hearing
- Plea Bargaining
- Pretrial Motion
Our team will work to help you avoid the latter two stages of the federal court process. If it is appropriate in your case, we may secure a dismissal or plea bargain that prevents you from going through a trial. Each case in New Jersey's federal court system is unique, but our firm will fight for the best-case outcome in yours.
Call the Lento Law Firm today at 888-535-3686 to discuss your case. You can also submit your case details online.