Anger is one of the most common human emotions, and it's something we all feel when life is difficult or unfair. However, anger can become overwhelming or even harmful if it starts to take over your life or causes you to act out in negative ways against friends and family—and in some cases, it can even lead to accusations of domestic violence or child abuse.
Don't let your anger get the best of you. Here are some smartphone apps that can help you manage your anger and keep it under control:
- Headspace: This meditation app might not be the most obvious choice for anger management, but meditation and mindfulness can be great tools for learning to manage all kinds of emotions and destructive behavior. Headspace offers different types of meditations that can help with reducing stress, improving relationships, working on negative emotions, or building emotional resilience.
- AIMS: AIMS—which stands for Anger and Irritability Management Skills—is an app developed by the US Department of Veterans Affairs, and it's designed to be used in combination with a course of the same name. The app offers an anger control plan, as well as tools to help you manage feelings in the moment when you're angry.
- Quit Anger: This app allows you to track your anger triggers and warning signs of outbursts, so you can see how your anger level changes over time. It also provides breathing exercises and other tools to help you control and manage your anger.
- 7 Cups: If you're someone who thrives on support from others, this app might be a good fit for you. 7 Cups lets you share your emotions with free “listeners” and chat in support group-style chatrooms with others who understand your problems. Community support can be a vital tool for working through powerful emotions, such as anger.
- TalkSpace: If these self-guided apps aren't giving you the help you need, it might be time to consider therapy. TalkSpace is an online therapy service that connects you with a trained therapist who has the training and experience to help you navigate your issues with anger, stress, or any other difficulties. This does come with a cost, but it could be worth it to learn anger-management tools that will change your life for the better.
All of these apps can help you learn skills to manage your anger and express your emotions in healthy ways, which can increase your happiness and make your life more peaceful—not to mention help you avoid potential legal issues.
When Anger Escalates
If your anger has led you to act out and you're facing allegations of domestic violence or child abuse, you don't have to navigate the New Jersey court system on your own. Joseph D. Lento and the Lento Law Firm Team are here to help. We know that everyone can go through times of stress and high emotion, and sometimes people say or do things out of anger that they later regret. We can help you defend yourself against legal charges and tell your whole story in court—not just the story of one emotional moment. Contact us online or call (888) 535-3686 to schedule a consultation.